We've got an easy and inexpensive solution. Cold brewing your own at home couldn't be simpler. Plus it turns out that heat is responsible for bringing out the bitter flavour of coffee, so cold brewing results in a smoother taste!
Here's how in just a few steps:
1. Put 1/2 lb fresh ground coffee in a stainless steel pot
2. Add 8 cups of cold water & stir
3. Cover and let sit for 12-24 hours at room temperature depending on what strength of coffee concentrate you would like
4. Pour the liquid back and forth between 2 pots, dumping out residual grounds after each pour until very little sediment remains
5. To remove finest grounds pour coffee through cheesecloth or sieve
And voila! You've got a cold coffee concentrate that you can store in your fridge for a quick fix anytime! And at a fraction of the cost of a coffee shop specialty beverage.
We left our mix for closer to 48 hours because we love us some strong coffee (and because sometimes life gets in the way of our best laid plans.) It came out black as pitch.
Like zero sunlight escaping this stuff!
Even so, there is absolutely no bitterness to the aftertaste. As the old joke goes, I like my coffee how I like my men - strong and smooth, smooth, smooth. Now that all of the "hard work" is done the only thing left is to enjoy. Mix the coffee concentrate with ice and water, cream, condensed milk or a bit of tasty liqueur if your feeling saucy. Whatever turns your crank, as my grandma used to say. If you make up a big enough batch you could take some to store in the fridge at work too! Of our course our preference is to drink it out in this perfect summer sun.
Mmmmmmm. Even on hectic mornings, you're only moments away from caffeinated bliss!